   RE: [xml-dev] qName/localName confusion

#   b.. the qualified name is required when the
# namespace-prefixes property
#       is true, and is optional when the namespace-prefixes
# property is false
#       (the default).
# </quote>

In Saxon (as a SAX event consumer) I actually depend on the qname always
being present, despite the fact that SAX doesn't guarantee it. I've never
encountered a parser that doesn't provide it, and I'm reluctant to write
code that incurs a performance penalty (and which I can't readily test) to
guard against the possibility of someone writing such a parser. I think
there's a good case for making the value mandatory.

Michael Kay