   RE: [xml-dev] Cross document validation with Schematron - XML syntax for

  • To: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Cross document validation with Schematron - XML syntax for Xpath?
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@stjude.org>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:21:06 -0600

Michael Kay <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com> writes:

> There is a proposed fine-grained XML syntax for XQuery called
> XQueryX at
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xqueryx-20031219/
>
> Since XPath is a subset of XQuery, this would appear to meet the need.

Almost perfectly, thanks (wish I had thought of that).

Given that we already run Saxon going the whole nine yards might make
even more sense. However, I'll note that the verbosity of XQueryX makes
XSLT look like Perl by way of comparison. It strikes me that we could
also use XQuery for a validation language similar to the way Schematron
uses Xpath; if a query does not return a result set the statement is not
regarded as valid?  If so, we could write directly in XQuery and skip
XQueryX?