   RE: [xml-dev] elements or attributes

>It is far better to say, "Here is the general concept and some good practices, but there
>are exceptions" than to say "There is no answer." (note I said "good" practices to avoid the
>debate about "best" practice :-) ).

Another helpful (if somewhat rude) answer would be RTFF: http://www.ucc.ie/xml/#attriborelem (it describes the general issues, points to Robin Cover, and quotes Mike Kay).

I sent the following privately to Howard because I didn't want to have an xml-dev haiku thread on my hands, but as long as I'm mentioning the FAQ, here's my 5-7-5 haiku:

  All beginners ask.
  Some knowledge means more passion.
  Experts roll their eyes.

Bob