   RE: [xml-dev] RDDL and user interface

> When an app that works with extensible XML encounters elements
> from an unrecognized namespace, how does it know how display and
> edit them?  I think it should be able to download and plugin a
> user interface at runtime.

Sounds reasonable to me. The XSmiles browser (Java) handles
multi-namespace documents. It might be useful to investigate what
infrastructure they're using to dispatch handling of elements based
on namespace.

> The UI could be a collection of
> resources made for elements in this namespace, including XSL
> stylesheets to transform an element into XHTML and XForms for
> creating them.  Would this be something appropriate to include
> in an RDDL document?

Yes. Mappings to and from other similar languages are another
useful thing to include. That way a processor could look up the
newly encountered namespace and then find transformations
that can turn it into something it can process. This might involve
traversing RDDL documents.

> Also, is there a cannon of purposes and natures?  Can I just
> invent my own and if so, should I use the
> http://www.rddl.org/purposes base or use my own?

Use your own URIs.

Cheers,

L.