   RE: [xml-dev] Competing Specifications - A Good or Bad Thing?

> I have a theory on the subject of "competing specifications" that I'd
> like to present, in hopes of getting some good feedback.

I think you're ignoring the bandwagon effect. Very often, if there are two
competing specifications, people sit on the fence and don't adopt either of
them, because they don't know which one is going to win. For example the
OpenLook/Motif war, if you remember that one. XML was adopted so rapidly
largely because it had no competition.

Michael Kay