   Re: [xml-dev] Will Father Moore save us from our sins? - was Re: [xml-de

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Even when resources are cheap, discipline is worthy.  This is
> when it is most worthy, not with regard to short term
> economics, but long term health that is harder to come by as
> any system ages and increases its interdependencies.

I wouldn't go that far: when the optimization won't bring significant,
measurable benefits, I prefer clear code over optimized code: code that is
slightly slower or more memory-intensive but a lot more transparent and easy
to maintain will win over the long term.

The most important places to optimize are code inside a tight loop (say, the
main loop of an interactive game) and code used for common data types (say,
element, attribute and text nodes in a DOM).  Optimizing code that will be
called or instantiated thousands or millions of times is a good, easy hit;
optimizing code that will be called or instantiated once or a dozen times is
counterproductive.

All the best,

David