   RE: [xml-dev] Can anyURI be empty?

At 10:49 AM -0600 4/7/04, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>The only rule I have heard suggested plausibly is that
>in a URI or URI reference, it's not legal to have two
>hash marks; if this is (a) true and (b) really the only
>syntactic constraint on URIs and URI references, then
>the set of legal lexical forms for anyURI is the set of
>strings which after IRI escaping have at most one
>hash mark.

I can cite a few more examples of strings that are definitely not
URIs. Here's one:

http://www.example.com/file%GF.html

Of course what to do if you encounter such a string where you expect
a URI is an open question. The XML Base errata note it is application
specific.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu