   Re: [xml-dev] Converting xml to csv with xslt

Jerry Lake wrote:

> I'm still working on my xslt. Can someone give me an example or point me
> in the right direction to convert my XML to CSV

It's a transformation problem.  You have to decide what the csv should
look like, given the xml source.

Since you will be outputting text, you need to specify the text output
method in your xslt stylesheet.  The other thing you have to do is to
write a little template that will add a comma after each field except
for the last one in a row, and another that will escape fields whose
text contains a comma.  These tasks are typically done with small
recursive templates.

If you need to group items together in a way that they are not grouped
in the xml source, you may need to use one or another of the standard
grouping techniques.  Just look in the various on-line FAQs and xslt
sites for grouping techniques and for these kinds of recursive templates.

Dave Pawson's site, and Jeni Tennison's site, would be really good
starting references.

Start hanging out on the Mulberry xsl list.

Don't worry, xslt has been used for generating Python, javascript, SQL,
and a host of other text formats.  It will work fine for csv.

Cheers,

Tom P