   Re: [xml-dev] XML Binary Characterization WG public list availabl e

On Apr 9, 2004, at 12:04 PM, Stephen E. Beller wrote:

> Michael - Please explain what you mean by "formats that ... still
> parse into
> the XML Infoset."

Well, "can be parsed" would be more grammatical.  An obvious example is
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbis/

> And, is this one kind of optimization people are requesting: A format
> optimized for human readability, rapid delivery, minimal storage and
> efficient rendering of large data sets?

Other people request the "optimization" of a cake that can be had and
eaten too, investments that are both safe and have a high return,  or
algorithms that are both fast and require no data structure overhead
:-)     I think Robin explained this well -- different stakeholders in
the new W3C WG have different things they need to optimize, and it's
not clear what is possible or desirable.