   Re: [xml-dev] XML Binary Characterization WG public list available

I completely agree with using 'optimized' rather than 'binary' because
'optimized' is the goal, 'binary' is just one possible aspect of the
solution.  That's why I changed the name of my work from 'binary
structured XML' to 'efficiency structured XML'.

I agree that generally optimized XML should be completely expressible in
XML 1.0 encoding.
There are two categories of effective extension to XML 1.0 semantics
that I see as being crucial to support some types of application semantics:

Expressible in XML 1.0, but with specific support: i.e. fast pointers
that can be represented by XPointers, IDs, offset attributes, etc.

Expressible only by multiple XML 1.0 documents or fragments or similar
awkwardness.  Support for deltas, updates, versioning and similar falls
into this category.  The fact that scattered nodes, text, and attributes
have been updated in a document compared to the last version may be
supported directly and very efficiently by an optimized XML encoding but
only with difficulty with traditional encoding.

Some applications will require these features.  It may be that usage
levels will have categories or something to differentiate progress (or
is it deviance?) from XML 1.0 encoding.
If an application just couldn't use XML without an additional
optimized-only semantic, there's not much issue with the advancement for
that application owner.

sdw

--
swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Per: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st