   Re: [xml-dev] XML Binary Characterization WG public list available

On Apr 12, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

>  "Which applications make no use of the Infoset abstraction (answer:
> "most").  -Tim

I must be seriously missing something here.  Of course, if we mean the
verbiage in the Infoset spec about "element information items" , you're
right, but I don't think anyone has ever argued that the Infoset spec
is of much interest to anyone besides specwriters.  If, on the other
hand, we use "infoset" to mean the labeled tree data model, all DOM,
XSLT, and XQuery-based applications use the "Infoset abstraction" and
only consume the XML syntax after a parser has done its magic to turn
it into nodes, events, objects, or whatever.