   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Schema vs Schema-free

> I can't imagine how it would be useful for anyone to
> add optional zeros in an element which is formally defined to have a
> canonical form that eliminates the trailing zeros.

Because it's the *canonical* form, not the *mandatory* form.  The
concern is not about round-tripping, but about the receiver getting what
the sender sent.  X.fws/694(right #?) have understated, implicit,
round-tripping going on.  That has subtle implications that need to be
investigated.

> But, if you're writing data that others will read, then if you
> wish to be understood, you must follow the rules of the schema
> language you're using.

Sure.  But only if you buy into the "one schema per document" thesis,
which we discussed earlier in this thread.  I don't buy it, Rusty
doesn't, and neither does Noah (one of the XSD authors, surprise!).

>>And the data folks don't seem to realize that the
>>current crop of security functions requires them
>>think like markup-type folks on the wire.
>
> 	Not so. ....

"We shall see," says I, smiling serenely....

	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com