   RE: [xml-dev] XML-appropriate editing data structures

Apologies if I keep pruning the CC list but I doubt
people need as many repeated messages.

I like editors that let me decide which features I
want to use at a given time.   Color contexts are
fine.  I normally don't need them but it's been
a while since I had to use the kinds of complex
DTDs we used for IETM work.  Auto-complete is
one I would turn off pretty quickly.  I make
more mistakes with that than I do otherwise.
Context-hints, such as code editors that tell
me which methods are available when typing in a
class.method(s) call are useful.

I see a lot of Foxpro.  Fox is good at that and
enabling local user customization.  Then it
will autocomplete something like SET STEP ON
without one noticing it and one types in
SET STEP ON ON.  Of course it complains at
interpret or compile time, but it's annoying.

The most amazing thing to me in this thread is how
many editors there actually are.  If ever there was
a sea change from SGML to XML, that's the one.

len

From: Rick Marshall [mailto:rjm@zenucom.com]

personally i like the context highlighting editors that don't do
anything except highlight context. so eg a tag is in a color and you
know you haven't entered the closing > because the whole page is in a
ghastly cyan. or red if you haven't terminated a string, etc.

not a bad compromise for experts. saves time without interfering :)