-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Rafter [mailto:lists@jeffrafter.com]

> How do you know no other process or person has modified the field in
> the mean time?

You just know. If I write all of the code for my application (or have
checked with the project manager) and know that no other code writes to the
database then the fact that the data is wellformed is known before I go into
the secondary parse.

> But well-formedness can't be assumed. That's the core of XML.

Right. I absolutely agree. Also, if a document is not wellformed you have to
stop parsing right then. All of this I agree with, and this is where I would
tend to disagree with Stephen.   "Assumed" was probably a poor word choice--

"known" would have been better. In many situations it is very easy to know
that a document is wellformed before a second parse begins. This doesn't
violate anything in the XML spec, it just aggregates the conclusions made
throughout the process and applies them to subsequent parses.