   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Why a "general" solution? (was: RE: [xml-dev]XMLBinary

How do these compare to commercial offerings in terms of speed of
operation, standards completeness, etc.?

Ed Day wrote:

>>What about a free ASN.1 to PER and back set of tools?
>>

>Well, you do not go from ASN.1 to PER and back just like you do not go from
>XSD to XML and back.  ASN.1 is the schema and PER is the transfer format.

Of course, that was silly of me.
I meant a compiler to produce code or meta-data that creates and
accesses PER.

>The standard tool for formatting and parsing PER messages based on an ASN.1
>schema is the ASN.1 compiler.  Two open source compilers that I am familiar
>with that can generate PER encoders/decoders can be found at the following
>URL's:
>
>http://www.openh323.org

Doh, forgot about that one, I have had it for a while, just didn't pull
out the tool.

>http://sourceforge.net/projects/iiiasn1/

Thanks!

>Regards,