   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Typekit Framework

Eric van der Vlist (vdv@dyomedea.com) wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 14:31, Eric Hanson wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm happy to announce the Typekit Framwork:
> >
> > http://typekit.org/
>
> On the bright side, I like the way you've described how "Typekit
> servers" give access the descriptions and resources.
>
> The main question I have is the motivation for not using RDDL in Typekit
> (at first glance, I have a feeling that Typekit could be a complement to
> RDDL instead of a competitor)!

I agree!

There are three main reasons:

1. RDDL is an extension of XHTML which IMHO would be better
accomplished by keeping data and presentation seperate.  If
humans want to view at this data, transform it to XHTML.

2. XLink?  Adds complexity and obscurity to the document.  Adds
value?  Other things as well I think convolude RDDL without
adding much value.  Keeping things simple and pretty is a high
priority.

3. The main goal of typekit is to make it possible to plug
resources into applications in a machine-capable fashion.  For
that to be realized, resource descriptions need more than nature
and purpose.

I know RDDL 2.0 has been talked about, and I'd be happy to
contribute whatever I can to that effort.

Eric