   Re: [xml-dev] Fast text output from SAX?

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:45:52 -0400
"Bob Wyman" <bob@wyman.us> wrote:

> Claude L Bullard wrote:
> > There were reasons to go to markup over all of the
> > binary solutions that dominated the markets when
> > that decision was made.   The success of that
> > decision is evident by the near ubiquitous use
> > of markup systems now and the ease with which
> > unprecedented integration and standardization
> > is occurring.
> 	I'm sorry but I just don't accept this as anything other than
> rewriting history. As far as I know, there was only *one* moment in
> this industry when a large number of people sat down to debate the
> "text vs binary" decision. That moment came back in the 80's during
> the early days of X.400 and X.500. And, the result of that debate was
> to choose ASN.1 as the winner. Unfortunately, the decision was made in

<snicker />  Picked the wrong moment, then, di'n't you?

Sorry.  Not very, but some.  Len's absolutely right.  The Powers-That-Be
chose an opaque format, and it languished.  Len is *not* rewriting history
to note that a few years later, the non-powers-that-cope chose something
else.  The choice of OSI and ASN.1 by The Powers-That-Be was just a
non-event.

Amy!
(a non-participant, at the time, but a close observer)
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
There's someone in my head, but it's not me.