   Re: [xml-dev] Validation vs performance - was Re: [xml-dev] Fast text ou

My memory gets hazy sometimes, but I think I remember the networking people
complaining just as much a decade and a half ago about the inefficiencies of
IP, TCP, etc.  I had to fight hard as late as 1993-94 to get a university
lab to use TCP/IP because the administration had been convinced by their
vendor (Novell) that TCP/IP was too slow for serious work.

I think that we might be at the same place right now with XML.  The
self-annointed analysts are telling the networking people that they'll have
to handle enormous volumes of XML network traffic in a few years, and the
networking people are freaking out over hypothetical future problems like
verbosity and parsing time.  I don't think that we have much of a clue yet
whether (a) there actually will be much XML network traffic over the next
few years, or (b) what it might look like, so any optimization is waaaay
premature.

All the best,

David