   RE: [xml-dev] Validation vs performance - was Re: [xml-dev] Fast text ou

Alessandro Triglia wrote:
> Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> ASN.1 is, of course, a logical data/API definition syntax,
> ASN.1 defines no API whatsoever, nor do ASN.1 modules define APIs.
> ASN.1 modules define **data types**.
	I think what Stephen may be refering to here is the fact that
a number of projects did, in fact, define their API's as a set of
PDU's defined using ASN.1. i.e. the various "calls" to the API were
defined as types. Some people even wrote code that would generate
programming language bindings based on the PDU definitions. So, some
folk came to think that ASN.1 was an IDL. It isn't. It just turns out
that a schema language can, in some cases, be used as an IDL.
	Nonetheless, ASN.1 is just an "Abstract Syntax Notation" or
schema language. Whether it can be used as an IDL is simply anecdotal.

		bob wyman