   RE: [xml-dev] Readable syntaxes (was: XUL Compact Syntax Study Now Onlin

So syntax is not trivial?

len

From: Norman Gray [mailto:norman@astro.gla.ac.uk]

Len,

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> The case
> for alternative syntaxes is weaker if all they do
> is enable faster typing in an ASCII editor.  Then
> they are just more stuff.

But it's not about _faster_[1], it's about writing correct code.

And as Bob said (again):

> If on the other hand, you mean that because notation is important as a
> vehicle for thought syntax should be tailored to be appropriate to the
> application and the intended audience, then I would heartily agree.
> Syntax is not trivial.

We don't need to go back to the language-and-thought thread of a few
months ago, in order to agree that how programming languages look is
important.  A language that is hard to read is hard to write, and that's
as true of XSLT-in-XML as it is of anything else.

Thus this discussion isn't about _compact_ syntax, but (human) _readable_
syntax.  I've adjusted the thread subject accordingly, since we're not
really talking about XUL any more.