   Re: [xml-dev] DTD parameter entities

> I checked 1.9.8 from CVS and it reports:
> xmlwf -p -dTemp petest.xml
> petest.dtd:6:0: syntax error
> petest.xml:1:33: error in processing external entity reference
>
> But I'm still a little puzzled, waiting for others to comment on this too.
> Is this really a syntax error?
> <!ATTLIST %ELEMNAME;%ATTNAME; CDATA #FIXED "value"%CLOSE;
> works for Expat 1.9.8 ...

Hhmm, I am not sure. From the specs:

<quote>
Validity constraint: Proper Declaration/PE Nesting

Parameter-entity replacement text MUST be properly nested with markup
declarations. That is to say, if either the first character or the last
character of a markup declaration (markupdecl above) is contained in
the replacement text for a parameter-entity reference, both MUST be
contained in the same replacement text.
</quote>

So, this would be a validation error, and Expat should not report it.
However, there is also this section:

<quote>
Well-formedness constraint: PE Between Declarations

The replacement text of a parameter entity reference in a DeclSep MUST
match the production extSubsetDecl.
</quote>

But it seems it doesn't apply here. So maybe Expat is OK?

Karl