   RE: [xml-dev] Readable syntaxes (was: XUL Compact Syntax Study Now Onli

At 6:00 PM +0100 4/21/04, Dave Pawson wrote:

>Are they really rubbish at taking human input, and 'regularising' it,
>such that the wire can understand it?

They are indeed rubbish at such tasks. Computers are way too stupid
to deal with human produced data unless the much smarter humans take
special pains to write their documents in a syntax the computers can
understand. I do believe that eventually the computers will get smart
enough to process real human authored content, but that day is not
today. Hell, they can't even reliably read my handwriting or
recognize my voice yet. Every time I sit down in front of a keyboard
I'm regularizing my input to meet the limits of the computer.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu