   Re: [xml-dev] entity definitions

> This proposal is intended to modify XML 1.0 by changing parts of section
> 4.1, specifically creating an alternative mechanism to fulfill the Entity
> Declared WF/V Constraint.

As with schema languages, there are benefits in not forcing any
particular declaration language, but there would be great benefit
in allowing undefined entities to be(only) a validity error.
to allow such layering of new declaration syntaxes, but this was
explictly rejected for 1.1 and I don't see a 2.0 coming any time soon.

> The first clause of the same paragraph, "In a document without any DTD" is
> problematic, potentially.  *shrug*

It's a real problem, not a potential one.
<!DOCTYPE x SYSTEM "x-wibble:wobble">
<x>&foo;</x>
is well formed but not valid
<x>&foo;</x>
is not well formed.

> Bob Foster also suggested, in email, that it might be possible to use XSLT
> to perform a transformation (pick up the entity and entities PIs, and stick
> them in the external subset).  I may need to ask on xsl-list,

It's not possible as the XPath data model has no undefined entities, so
even though the first example above is potentially well formed,
it will be treated like the second and generate a fatal error on input.

David

http://www.star.net.uk