   Re: [xml-dev] entity definitions

Amelia A Lewis wrote:
> Bob Foster also suggested, in email, that it might be possible to use XSLT
> to perform a transformation (pick up the entity and entities PIs, and stick
> them in the external subset).  I may need to ask on xsl-list, but I don't
> think that this is possible.  On the other hand, it might be possible to
> generate an internal subset.  But it isn't clear that the processor feeding
> the XSLT engine would leave the entities unexpanded (the general XSLT advice
> seems to be: you can't ever see an entity).  So I need to ask some experts
> on xsl-list, but I'm doubtful whether there's an XSLT solution for
> integration.

That's not quite what I suggested. I suggested that a process (XSLT or
otherwise) could be used to produce an _actual_ DTD document which could
then be used to obtain character entity references in a conformant manner.

For example,

<!DOCTYPE x SYSTEM "edml:http://example.com/entities.edml";>
<x>&ent;</x>

Where http://example.com/entities.edml contains:

<entities>
   <entity name="ent">foo</entity>
</entities>

Could be used with any SAX parser today, given an appropriate
EntityResolver.

Alternatively, a parser could support the edml: scheme directly, as an
optimization.

Bob