   Re: [xml-dev] You call that a standard?

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> ISO is political.  Extremely.  They are also
> process-bound which makes them reliable and
> predictable.  They admit the existence of politics
> and plan for it.  Process isn't evil; it is the
> buffer against it.  It doesn't always work
> but overrunning a buffer to achieve a malicious
> result is something of an art form, yes?

I'm reminded of the reason why OIDs - what ASN.1 uses for namespace
identifiers, more or less - are numeric, with optional textual labels
that are just like comments when the OID is written to make it more
readable; they're numeric so they don't need to be changed when
organisations get renamed, take each other over, etc.

So identifiers based on an OID assigned to, say, a despotic and horrible
government that executes millions of people, can still be used. Whereas
a namespace URI that began
"http://xml-effort.evil-secret-police.gov.XX/";, where .XX is some
country, might have longevity issues.

ABS