   Re: [xml-dev] ISO and the Standards Golden Hammer (was Re: [xml-dev]You

David Megginson wrote:

> The fact is that ISO never did well with computer technology, either
> before *or* after XML.  We use the four-layer DoD networking stack, not
> the seven-layer ISO/OSI stack, and we look to the IETF, not ISO, for our
> protocols.  Even modest computer tech successes like SGML have been rare
> for ISO.

The seven-layer stack is joint ISO/ITU-T thing, and the ITU-T has done
OK in telecoms - V.* modems, I.* ISDN stuff, and G.* ADSL stuff are all
pretty de-facto these days...

But anyway. Having looked into a lot of them, I've always got the
impression that the ISO/ITU-T standards would be lovely to work with,
but lack mindshare - they're not marketed very well.

Perhaps if national governments mandated that all software sold in that
country had to comply with existing data format / protocol / API
standards, where possible... :-)

> David

ABS