   RE: [xml-dev] WAY OFFTOPIC: ( RE: [xml-dev] ISO and the Standards Golde

From: Frank [mailto:frank@therichards.org]

>I'm leaving this on-list because I'm really trying to understand your
>routine on-list behavior, and I'm betting that there are others on the
>list who would also like to understand.

Quite possibly, but the point of the thread is to understand how
the current situation with standards got that way, and to inquire
if there are better ways, not to psychoanalyze my behavior.

As I understood it, ronin were for hire.  That is the sense
in which I meant that.  Intergraph is composed of vertical
divisions.  I work for IPS.  IPS has only just begun to
work with Internet standards in the records management
domain.  I am in no way here representing IPS.
My initial email was a response to Bob Glushko's
interview.  I agree with the majority of his opinions.

I think the time for doing things that way are past.  If one wants
to put 'five smart people in a room' and create a product,
that's a good idea.  If one wants to take existing
standards and use them to create new ones, one should
not take them from existing organizations.  Start new
or work within the framework of the originating
organization.  If one wants to take a proprietary
product and create a standard, pick an organization
with a clear IP policy, work with them, and if the
meaning of 'standard' is not clear, pick an organization
that defines it clearly.  ISO is a good bet for that
last one.

There are fewer problems that way and no one has to
pound on the originating organization to justify what
they are doing, or to relieve their personal conflicts.

len