   Re: [xml-dev] You call that a standard?

Michael Champion wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2004, at 9:39 AM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>
> > You like the credit for being the
> > "co-inventor of XML" but don't accept any role in the damage done by
> > the
> > gutting of ISO and the norms of standardization that stood
> > in your way.
>
>   I wasn't around back then, but AFAIK, ISO committed seppuku as far as
> "SGML for the Web" is concerned; Tim (Bray and/or Berners-Lee) didn't
> gut it.  :-)
>
> >  "As the twig is bent...", Tim.  One has to
> > take the long view or short term gains in technical
> > specification turn into big losses in cultural cooperation.
> > Internet time is bullsh*t.
>
> It seems to me that one has to take the long AND the short view.  Joint
> R&D is a Good Thing; Recommendations about what appears to actually
> work and would work better if the relatively small differences were
> smoothed out are a Good Thing; and real honest International Standards
> are a Good Thing, but they should not be promulgated until the
> underlying specs have matured.
>
> So in my very humble opinion:
>
> -- IBEASoft should be more honest that what they are doing with the
> WS-* specs are joint R&D projects, and should correct journalists who
> call them "standards" or "recommendations" (except in the sense that
> their marketing departments "recommend" the products built around
> them).

At the OASIS Symposium this past week, Chris Ferris of IBM gave a
presentation comparing WS-ReliableMessaging (which I refer to as a
"vendor specification" in my various talks) to OASIS WS-Reliability. I
won't provide specific comments here - rather, I'll let the following
e-mail from the OASIS WSRM TC to the OASIS TAB (Technical Advisory
Board) speak for itself:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsrm/200404/msg00086.html

My understanding of the outcome will be a response by the WSRM TC posted
to the OASIS Symposium Web site.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World