   converting a proprietary config file to XML

Perhaps someone here can help me?  I've posted this on
newsgroups and thru IRC and no responses so far.

I have a "*"-delimited config file for our internal
app.  The syntax is as follows:

param1*param2*value=3
param1*param2*param3*value=4
param1*value=1
param2*value=3

etc..

What's the best way of doing this?  As seen from the
example above, this lends itself to a very nice
tree-based representation.  So I tried using an
acyclic graph but got bogged down converting it to
tree, the
original idea was to first convert it to a tree, then
traverse the tree xml-tagging it along the way.  Is
that a good idea?

Are there better ideas?  Thanks for your help.