   Re: [xml-dev] XML moves COBOL into the .NET and J2EE arenas

<< there is more than a sizable investment in COBOL prior to recent years.

My point was not that the investment in COBOL is a recent phenomenon, but that
it's continuing -- COBOL didn't die in the 80s. There are about 2 million COBOL
programmers versus 3 million Java and 300,000 Perl.

The reason why we still have 200 billion lines of COBOL running today is
standardization and portability. Before the UCSD p-system,  ANSI C, and the Java
VM, COBOL was a favored solution for writing code for multiple platforms.

<< watching where COBOL goes is actually a proxy for listening to the customer.

It's also an indicator that organizations will commit (long term) to
vendor-neutral technologies based on standards.