   RE: [xml-dev] XML moves COBOL into the .NET and J2EE arenas

> Some people chose COBOL but more often it was simply a mandate.

I spent six months enhancing the schema compiler for a database product,
which was about 25K lines of COBOL. Never again! (For that matter, never
again do I want the job of trying to explain to a technically illiterate
project manager why a programming language that's perfectly good at one job
might not be the best choice for something completely different).

People said they could tell I wasn't a real COBOL programmer because I wrote
things like

COMPUTE X = 0.

instead of

MOVE 0 TO X.