   rules language for XML Router [Re: [xml-dev] XML Router ?

Bob Wyman wrote:

>Rahul wrote:
>

>>I am wondering if "XML Router" is the next big product
>>in the XML space following XML accelerators and XML
>>security gateways.
>>

>	If by an "XML Router" you mean a engine that can take a stream
>of XML objects and, based on persistent routing rules, direct the flow
>of those objects to one or more destinations, then you'll find that
>much of the "Publish and Subscribe" work can be applied to the XML
>routing problem. i.e. and "XML Router" is often a Publish/Subscribe
>system that works on messages encoded in XML.

<snip-adv/>

>	It is important to recognize that the "XML Router" term gets
>used in a number of often confusing ways. For instance, much of the
>"XML Routing" that gets done in Web Services is very like "routing" in
>DNS. i.e. a message is being sent to a logical destination and the
>"XML Router" looks at the logical destination information in order to
>route the SOAP object to an appropriate physical resource or server.
>In another usage, "XML Router" refers to a system that contains a
>filtering or matching engine that does "content based" routing by
>matching constraints against the detailed content of the XML object.
>(i.e. deliver to XXXX if field1="foo" and field2 ="bar"). In the
>former scenario, the destination of the object is "know" to its
>originator, in the latter scenario, the destinations are
>self-selecting -- often without the knowledge of the originators or
>publishers. It should also be noted that implementing the first
>scenario is massively easier than doing the second... Anyway, be aware
>that "XML Router" means different things to different people.

i think that pretty much any XML workflow engine in its heart XML
message router covering both cases mentioned above and more (for example
take BPEL4WS).

the interesting thing is to realize how close XML workflow engine is to
pub/sub system ... how well they can be integrated (or not) and in what
use cases the workflow engine or pub-sub system works the best ...

it seems to me that the most intriguing point of reuse may be to look on
workflow language to express routing rules? such routing could be
executed as a micro-workflow and be both pretty efficient and allow for
easy re-use of rules not tying customer logic into one proprietary
product ...

best,

alek