   Re: [xml-dev] Designing XML to Support Information Evolution

"Hunsberger, Peter" wrote:

> Chiusano Joseph <chiusano_joseph@bah.com> writes:
>

> > "Hunsberger, Peter" wrote:
> > >
> > > Roger L. Costello <costello@mitre.org> writes:
> > >
> > > <snip>example</snip>

> > apply to
> > > XML information structures where you have a requirement to
> > > the Picker around to different lots), changing the
> > > decreasing the value of <ripe-grapes> on a lot), and where
> > > know if these lessons apply everywhere.

> > tremendous impact
> > > on the processing of the information.

> > > relationship between hierarchy of information and the
> > relationship is
> > > roughly: the greater the hierarchy, the greater the
> > > good, of course.  But the amount of hierarchy that is
> > > I thought, as described above.)
> > >
> > > Hierarchy makes processing non-hierarchical data hard.  As
> > others have
> > > suggested, it would seem that you created a hierarchy where
> > none was
> > > needed.  You can always normalize a hierarchy in a database (eg.
> > > set/subset relational models for example), but when trying
> > to reflect
> > > a hierarchy for presentation purposes a hierarchy is the
> > best way to
> > > represent hierarchical data...  Gluing back together parent child
> > > relationships can also be inefficient!
> >
> > Of course, in some cases this can violate second and/or third
> > normal form (I forget which - it might be both...it's been a
> > long time since I studied this in my undergrad, and it's now
> > become instinct;). Using Roger's original example, let's say
> > that we have a business rule that allows a picker to belong
> > to multiple lots - perhaps we're short on pickers and need to
> > share them among multiple lots in alternating shifts. Let's
> > also say that we need to represent properties of a picker
> > - I'm a city boy so I'll take my best guess...manufacturer,
> > size, etc. Repeating the properties of a picker over and over
> > for each lot to which it is assigned violates one or both of
> > those normal forms.
> >

> Umm, yes, but I'm not sure what the issue is?  Store the data
> relationally, fully normalized, represent it hierarchically.

The biggest issue right out of the gate, of course, is file size - with
XML files already being larger in size than data-only files, this
approach would take up inordinate amounts of file size and bandwidth to
transmit. That's a complete show-stopper in many instances.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World