   Re: [xml-dev] xml prolog - what am I missing?

Chris Bentley wrote:
> Hi, I'm  confused can some put me right;
>
> I keep seeing references alluding to the fact that a document type
> declaration IS NOT part of an XML prolog.
> e.g., http://tantek.com/XHTML/Test/minimal.html amongst others.

This document is calling the XML declaration the XML prolog. This is
misleading. An XML declaration is an optional part of the prolog. A
prolog may contain an XML declaration (must be first line), plus
an optional document type declaration, optional comments, optional
space, and an optional PIs, according to the prolog production
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-prolog).

> My confusion comes from my reading of the XML 1.0 spec
> "prolog  ::=   XMLDecl? Misc* (doctypedecl Misc*)?"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-prolog-dtd
>
> ..doesn't this mean that a document type declaration IS part of an XML
> prolog?

Your interpretation is correct.

Mike