   Re: [xml-dev] Designing XML to Support Information Evolution

Robert Koberg wrote:
> Michael Kay wrote:
>
>>> hmmm... isn't the internet a hierarchy? has that failed?
>>
>> If the internet is a hierarchy, can you tell me how to find the root?
>
> A quick google turned up:
>
> http://www.support.psi.com/support/common/inet-serv/dns/hierarc.html
>
> "The Domain Name System is a distributed hierarchical system for
> resolving host names into IP addresses. The DNS has a root domain at the
> top of the hierarchy and directly under are the top-level domains. The
> root of the tree has no name. All siblings of a domain must have unique
> names. Children of a domain are called subdomains of the parent."
>
> ----
>
> On another note, I know you (Michael) are interested in genealogy. How
> do you get the root of a family tree?

So the Internet is a tree of domains, and simultaneously a forest of
named subdomains.

The mitochondrial family tree has a root. The y-chromosome tree has
another. But the human family tree is a forest, as well.

Or, as MURATA Makato styles it, a hedge.

Bob Foster