   Re: [xml-dev] Evolving Information by XML Element Mutations

my view - as expressed before - you have to allow errors, chaos, and
anarchy - it is healthy. fwiw i've notcied that the tighter i make our
commercial systems the more the operators resist....

the second aspect is the inverse of traditional evolution. there is a
sense in which evolution is the survival of the "fittest" - overused and
poorly understood. but i think evolution is also opportunistic. and
that's what the bugs showed. one did something strange, and another
reacted opportunistically to the event.

so you need a stylesheet that can a) make mistakes; b) survive in spite
of the mistakes; and c) take advantage of the mistakes (new environment)

part a) is probably best accomplished by an external agent that
interferes with the passing on of accurate xml files. also the files
would need to be a collectioin that gets combined for processing.

COLLECTION OF XML FILES (possibly faulty - loses them occassionally)
 -> EXTRACT FROM COLLECTION (possibly faulty - doesn't pick up all files)
 -> SINGLE XML FILE (possibly faulty aggregater - sometimes corrupts a file)
 -> PROCESS STYLE SHEET
 -> SPLITTER (possibly faulty - loses them sometimes)
 -> STORAGE ROUTINE (possibly faulty - sometimes corrupts file)
 -> COLLECTION OF XML FILES

this is the start of some real intelligence.

regards

rick

ps 400 generations is a long time - 6000 to 8000 years in human generations

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall
n:Marshall;Rick
email;internet:rjm@zenucom.com