   RE: [xml-dev] Semantic Web permathread, iteration n+1 (was Re: [xml-dev]

>> Google is to "the semantic web" as CompuServe was to "the web".

>Google is to "the semantic web" as Cleveland is to Xanadu.

I'm not sure of the intent of this analogy--is it supposed to imply that the
semantic web is much more wonderful than Google, or that, like Xanadu
(Coleridge's or Ted Nelson's), the semantic web is simply a well-documented
fantasy that won't ever exist, as opposed to an existing entity where people
get real work done, like Google and Cleveland?

Or better yet, continuing with the parallels to Nelson's Xanadu and Len's
SGML/HyTime analogy, did you mean that the semantic web is something that
will inspire great ideas that get implemented in a different, more practical
project?

Bob