so easy to go from the ERDs in VML back to relational tables.

From <p> to <partno>, information is gained.  In the other direction, it is
lost.   How does your continuum hypothesis work with that?

As data is assembled into documents, it gains semantics.  So is the
DocTypeSpectrum a semantic continuum?

len

From: Bob Glushko [mailto:glushko@SIMS.Berkeley.EDU]

But I don't buy into this data-centric vs doc-centric view of the world. It is obviously a continuum   (called the "Document Type Spectrum" in the Document Engineering book  I'm writing with Tim McGrath [just about done, MIT Press early 2005]).   On one end are pure narrative things and on the other end are purely transactional ones:   Moby Dick to invoices.  IIn the middle are hybrid types like catalogs and reference books that have lots of structured content mixed in with narrative content.