   RE: [xml-dev] Semantic Web permathread, iteration n+1 (was Re: [x ml-dev

  • To: 'Michael Champion' <mc@xegesis.org>, XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Semantic Web permathread, iteration n+1 (was Re: [x ml-dev] InfoWorld agrees with Elliote Rusty Harold)
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <len.bullard@intergraph.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:08:46 -0500

Yeah, that's been the observable behavior all the way
back to MULTICS and possibly before.  A lot effort is
tossed at a large problem but solving the smaller subproblems
leads to useful bits.  Some say, dare to do less, and maybe
that works, but sometimes daring to more gets a
lot done, just not everything one set out to do. D'oh.

I'm no expert in this but...

The problem here is that the Semantic Web tech,
as John Sowa and others point out on their lists, is
recreating technology that has been successfully created
before and worked well.  The difference is scale and
architecture.  It seems to me that if it fails at
the scale and architecture asked for, even if it
leaves some useful bits behind, they are mostly the
same useful bits we already have except for using
URI naming.

len

From: Michael Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

On Jun 3, 2004, at 9:32 AM, DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) wrote:

>  the semantic web is something that
> will inspire great ideas that get implemented in a different, more
> practical
> project?

For what it's worth, that's exactly the point I was trying to make in
my response to Len.