   RE: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] Semantic Web pe

Howard Katz wrote:

>> From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]
>> They do not ask whether the document
>> contains additional information they don't need or care about.

>I don't understand this last point, Elliotte. How can a properly designed
>application ask whether a document contains the information it needs
without knowing
>about the document's structure? If you add information, you're most likely
>changing the structure, and consequently the schema. How can an application

>cope with ad hoc changes like that w/out looking at the schema, ie without
doing validation?

>What am I not understanding?

Howard,

An application that can find what its expecting to find, in the right order,
should work, even if there is additional data mixed in.

Consider schemas, whether XSD or RNG. I can add new elements and attributes
from foreign namespaces to a schema and schema processing software will
still find what it needs, process it just fine, and ignore the additional
information.

Bob
weblog: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1191
homepage: http://www.snee.com/bob