   RE: [xml-dev] What's wrong w/ nested elements?

  • To: "Bryce K. Nielsen" <bryce@sysonyx.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What's wrong w/ nested elements?
  • From: "Jain, Rajnish" <rjain@xl.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:24:50 -0400

Actually, it wouldn't accept that either, it's just the parser errored
out on the <b> element before it could find a <c> element. There is no
way to do this within VisualStudio, it's a limitation within the tool.
They are trying to make the schema fit into a relational model, which
means imposing limitations on the schema language.

<RJ>
I noticed the problem is specifically w/ complex elements (such as <b>)
that have their own children. Such elements map to their own relational
tables. However, simple elements (such as <c>) are merely members of
other relational tables and probably that's why the tool doesn't mind
their reuse under different parents.
</RJ>

> The tool is okay w/ element (c) being contained under more than one
> parent. And even (b) can be present more than once under either (a1)
> or
> (a2) but not under both (a1) and (a2)simultaneously.

Actually, it wouldn't accept that either, it's just the parser errored
out on the <b> element before it could find a <c> element. There is no
way to do this within VisualStudio, it's a limitation within the tool.
They are trying to make the schema fit into a relational model, which
means imposing limitations on the schema language.

Bryce K. Nielsen
SysOnyx, Inc. (www.sysonyx.com)
Makers of xmlArchitect, the Smart XML Schema Editor
http://www.sysonyx.com/products/xmlarchitect