   Re: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] Semantic Web pe

At 8:40 AM +0200 6/8/04, Henrik Martensson wrote:

>As in having people die in munitions accidents, you mean, because that
>is the kind of thing that happens when automated systems mess manuals
>up.

I can see a possibility of this; for instance marking something as a
CAUTION or a NOTE instead of a WARNING. However, more often than not
the real problem is not that the user mistyped a tag or invented a
new tag. It is that they used a valid but wrong tag for the
information. For instance, they put the warning in a  PARA instead of
a WARNING.

Even more fundamentally, the real problem here is the necessity of
the warning in the first place. Most properly designed systems
(munitions may be an exception) should not be able to kill people.
There should be nothing in my toaster, computer, or microwave oven
that can injure me short of dropping it on my head from a high
building. This should be true regardless of what the manual says.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu