   RE: [xml-dev] Semantic Web permathread, iteration n+1 (was Re: [xml-dev]

  • To: "K. Ari Krupnikov" <ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Semantic Web permathread, iteration n+1 (was Re: [xml-dev] InfoWorld agrees with Elliote Rusty Harold)
  • From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:29:31 -0700

> With apologies to Churchill, Google may be the worst indexer except
> for all the others out there.

> It works, unlike the SW Xanadu? That, and is not to my knowledge under
> the control of any large corporate or government entity.

Again, that's not the point.  I'm not arguing one way or the other about
how realistic "semantic web" vision is, nor am I disputing how useful
Google is.

The thread that provoked my response was suggesting that Google is
somehow achieving the vision of semantic web.  Google may be
accomplishing great things, but what it is achieving should not be
confused with the vision of semantic web.  Regardless of how realistic
that vision is, you would have to revise the vision of "semantic web" to
honestly claim that Google is achieving that vision.