   Re: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] Semantic Web pe

Alaric B Snell scripsit:

> So, who's up for defining a generic toolkit for expressing how
> applications should handle unknown elements (and attributes? Or can we
> assume that *all* unknown attributes are ignorable?)

I'd say that's realistic.  Most XML APIs present attributes in a bag,
such that it's easiest to find the ones you understand and ignore the
rest.

> <element ext:ifUnknown="ignore" ext:dependsOn="...list of IDs...">
> </element>

I'd say that ifUnknown needs three values:  "ignore", "fail", and
"continue", where the third means to process the children of this
element as if they were children of its parent (the way HTML browsers
work).   In the nature of things, these can only be advisory, of course.

I'm not sure what dependency means in this context.

--
John Cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big