   RE: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel

And negotiate.  Sorry, Elliotte, but we really do negotiate.
Hopefully, we have a standard schema.  Yep, we really do use
those.  For the industry I'm in, that is currently Global
Justice XML.   Here's an example.

A programmer develops a web service for returning arrest
information.  Arrest information is related to incident
information, but at the heart of both is a Name entity.
To do this, a PersonType is defined because names can name
businesses and people.  Now comes the fun.
Another entity is Alias (the kind an arrestee gives when
they want to disguise their identity).  Is Alias just
another name or is it a name of type PersonType?

The naive answer proves to be wrong.  JusticeXML gets
this definition right, but without it to appeal to,
we have to negotiate for much longer. Costs go up
for even a single negotiation so one can envision
the cost savings as hundreds of producers and
consumers come online.   The tradeoff for not having
to buy wall-to-wall systems from a single vendor
IS commodization pressure by standardization.

len

From: Hunsberger, Peter [mailto:Peter.Hunsberger@STJUDE.ORG]

The rush to standardization of everything XML should tell us that people
value meta-data with broad scope. However, people constantly try to get
ahead of the game and institutionalize their metadata without having any
proof of its value. Personally, I'll write no schema before it's time,
and never consider a schema the final world...