   RE: [xml-dev] Meta-somethingorother (was the semantic webmega-permathrea

Hi Bill

> I've always felt that the stuff that Tim BL and Joshua Allen talk
> about requires a "signal processing" layer to get from data to
> metadata. That's not present in the SemWeb layer cakes I've seen.
> Miles Sabin quite rightly mentioned that GOFAI has yet to prove
> itself worthy, but there are systems out there where stuff
> remsembling usable GOFAI has been built, but on top of scruffy AI
> tech, not handcrafted ontologies.

I agree

> Suppose it was 1935 and I said: bottom line I don't know whether
> these proposed computing machines can solve the
> Entscheidungsproblem. Does that make computing today not useful by
> virtue of being restricted to limited applications (or as Picasso
> pointed out, computers can only give you answers)?  This stuff
> doesn't have to be formally correct or all encompassing to be useful.

I agree, knowledge representation tech. is useful to certain domain
applications; in a couple of years, probably more than that. But as you
know, progress is as slow as a slug. In the meantime the TAP project from
Standard is addressing some of my concerns from the operational point of
view (ref: http://tap.stanford.edu/j1.html)

Cheers
Didier PH Martin