   Re: [xml-dev] Meta-somethingorother (was the semantic webmega-permathrea

At 4:42 PM +0100 6/9/04, Bill de hÓra wrote:

>>  Why not? What does the RDF buy you here?
>
>Much the same thing a database would, or a
>program would. Structured relations and uniform
>evaluation.

You're going to need to be more specific. I don't
see that we don't have these things with plain
XML.

>The problem with your position is that you're
>doing something along the lines of comparing
>Lisp to Sexprs and asking, what does Lisp buy
>me? You're not taking in account the code that
>needs to impute meaning into the Sexpr in the
>absence of a Lisp evaluator.

Let's run with that analogy for a minute. If I
were claiming Lisp and S-exprs were equivalent,
you could show me some Lisp programs that could
not be written as S-exprs without also writing an
S-expr interpreter. I want to see the RDF
programs that could not equally easily be written
with plain XML. So far I've only heard it claimed
that these exist, but I haven't been able to get
anybody to produce one. In fact, the few cases I
have looked at deeply turned out to be based on
plain XML and not RDF at all! If this stuff is
really practical, it shouldn't be that hard to
come up with an existence proof.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu