   Re: [xml-dev] Meta-somethingorother (was the semantic web mega-permathr

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>> [Protege]
>

> I'm sorry. That's not a concrete enough example to satisfy me. You've
> got an RDF tool doing RDF operations. That's a bit circular. What I
> want to see is an RDF tool that lets me order tickets for a concert,
> or close the books of the company at the end of the month, or find the
> right album cover to match a song in my MP3 player, or something
> practical that I want to do irrespective of whether it's done with RDF
> or XML or something else. How can RDF make my job of writing one of
> these applications (or some other useful application of your choice)
> easier?

On the last point, one thing to note - part of the advantage of RDF is
in aggregate. The job of writing a single application may not be helped
a great deal, but the job of writing lots of them will be. Keyword: reuse.

On the first point, there are a handful of apps and demos described here:

http://esw.w3.org/mt/esw/archives/cat_applications_and_demos.html

the analysis done by HP is pretty good:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/open_demonstrators/hp-applications-selection.html

the appendix of that is an application survey:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/open_demonstrators/hp-applications-survey.html

If none of the things listed there takes your fancy, you could always
try Dave Beckett's big list:

http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/rdf/resources/

Cheers,
Danny.