   Re: [xml-dev] Early Draft Review: XQuery for Java (JSR 225)

> What you say is quite impossible - maybe I am not clear enough:
> the simple static analysis I am aiming at is made by the *Java
> compiler*: correct syntax of the query, and possibly some type-checking.
> This catches the "easily avoidable errors".

My point is you can use the prepare step to validate the query. It's not compile
time, but it's pre-execution.

> Let us suppose you want to use such a tool: every abstract syntax tree
> can be serialized to concrete syntax with no effort.

Suppose I want to [build | buy ] a query logger, performance monitor, trace tool
or query designer that's programmed in C++ or Visual Basic. It can process or
generate XQuery strings, but it's unlikely to "understand" encrypted Java
bytestreams.