   RE: [xml-dev] XML Technologies: Progress via Simplification or Co mplexi

Now:  with such understanding, is the theory simpler
than it was, or has understanding subsumed the complexity
such that there are still as many features but described
with fewer terms?

We're circling Chaitin's algorithmic information concepts and
Kolmogorov complexity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_information_theory

areas we have explored before on this list, but which are
endlessly fascinating.  Still, Kolmogorov complexity is
a concept Roger can work with when considering complexity
arising from simple components.

When considering the processes for moving from complexity to
simplicity, is it the case that by iteration, we migrate from
Shannon's measures for uncertainty over an unordered space to
Fisher's measures for uncertainty over an ordered space?

len

From: Frank Richards [mailto:frank@therichards.org]

On Thursday 24 June 2004 10:56, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>  In the recent article cited from Chaitin,
> he noted how in a hundred years, theories would
> emerge that would take only a few pages to
> describe because the terminology would evolve
> to the point that fewer terms are necessary
> and so what was once complicated to explain
> would be simple.  Is this an advance in
> terminology or in understanding?

'Yes.' With understanding comes the ability to coin the elegant terminology,
to describe the elegant design which also requires the understanding to
create.